What is Willing to Wait?
The program, entitled Willing to Wait™, has been used to teach sexual risk avoidance in public and private schools in the greater Grand Rapids community since 1995. This curriculum teaches students to delay sexual activity until marriage as a positive and realistic lifestyle, promoting self-control, respect, responsibility, and good health. The eight sessions of the curriculum are designed for middle and high school students.
What does the program teach?
This program effectively teaches an awareness of current sexuality issues, as well as teaches teens the skills necessary to manage their sexuality responsibly.
Who teaches the curriculum?
Willing to Wait™ is taught by trained instructors who are invited into a school’s health, physical education, family living, or science classes. Willing to Wait™ offers these sessions free of charge to area schools and is funded through gifts and donations from the community.
- Willing to Wait™ website is designed to encourage teens to choose a lifestyle of abstinence from sex until marriage. This website supplements the Willing to Wait™ curriculum.
- The Willing to Wait™ curriculum offers eight – nine lessons and is taught in the greater Grand Rapids, and in other schools throughout Michigan.
- Willing to Wait™ instructors are highly trained and certified by the Kent Intermediate School District of Michigan to teach reproductive health, and have completed teacher training in HIV/AIDS education, along with certification from the National Abstinence Education Association.
- All classroom materials and activities are provided by Willing to Wait™.
- All material is research-based, medically accurate and doctor endorsed.
- Lessons are fun and interactive.
- Instructors use a variety of teaching methods to provide students with activities in which to learn important information and the necessary skills to make healthy choices.
- Over 90% of students who have gone through our program expressed that this material should be taught to other students their age.
- Willing to Wait™ Leadership Team culminates the program by encouraging their peers through skits and stories with the challenge of sexual abstinence until marriage.
If you have questions about the Willing to Wait program and would like more information, please call the Director of Education at 616-259-1506 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org