There are different kinds of abuse, not just the kind that leaves visible bruises. There is verbal/emotional/physical/sexual abuse. It can start small and gradual and you can get to the point where you may not even realize that you are being abused.
Abuse can happen to anyone, of any gender, at any age. This is a male/female problem that concerns everyone!
If you or someone you know experience an abusive relationships, know that you are not alone. Contact any of these agencies for trained assistance:
- Safe Haven Ramoth House Shelter – 616.452.6664
- YWCA Domestic Violence Shelter -616.451.2744
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1.800.799.SAFE (7233)
- National Teen Dating Abuse Hotline – 1.866.331.9474
Remember, the laws are there to protect you:
Definition of sexual assault: Any form of sexual contact that is not agreed to (consent was not given). This could be imposed by using violence, threats, coercion or deception.
- YWCA Sexual Assault Crisis Line – 616.776.RAPE (7273)
- Rape Abuse & Incest Hotline – 1.800.656.HOPE (4673)
Consent must be a verbal yes. A person cannot consent to sex if they…
- Are under the age of 16 (in the state of Michigan)
- Are mentally challenged
- Have been drinking or taking drugs
Sexting. Anyone who requests a nude or semi-nude picture of someone under the age of 18 or anyone who takes, sends or has a nude/semi-nude picture of a minor on their phone/computer can get in trouble with the law. More info on sexting.