Most people long for relationships. But just being in a relationship is not necessarily a good thing unless the relationship is healthy. A healthy relationship makes you feel good about yourself and makes you feel safe. The basic qualities of a healthy relationship include:
- Do you listen to each other’s thoughts, ideas and expressions of feelings?
- Do you treat each other with care and kindness?
- Do you value one another?
- Do you know the other person well enough to know what is really important to them?
- Do you share common values regarding family, religion, education, children, work, money, etc.?
- Have you discussed how you will handle the differences?
Honesty and Trust
- Do you both admit when you’re wrong?
- Do you both tell the truth without fear?
- Do you both forgive mistakes?
- Do you give and take to make each other happy?
- Do you both give up wants and desires for the sake of the other person?
- Do you talk openly about your thoughts and feelings with each other?
- Are you willing to work through disagreements?
- Do you listen to each other without coming to conclusions or judgment?
- Do you make sacrifices for each other without expecting anything back?
- Do both people in the relationship place what is best for the other above their own desires?
- Do you work for what’s best for the other person long-term?